Electricity Purchase Scheme Brought $14.5 million Damage to Moldovan Citizens

Electricity Purchase Scheme Brought $14.5 million Damage to Moldovan Citizens
12 November 2020 | 12:20

An electricity acquisition scheme brought to the citizens living in Moldova in 2008 a 14.5 million dollars loss, according to several experts in the electricity field. The current president Igor Dodon, then Minister of Economy, and the President of the Parliament, Zinaida Greceanii, then Prime Minister, participated in the plot. Moreover, experts say that a criminal case has been opened in this circumstance, just to be closed without being investigated.

Expert Tudor Șoitu reported at a press conference that, until April 2008, Moldova imported electricity directly from the Ukrainian supplier – Ukrinterenergo, for four cents per kWh. Until another intermediary company- Energo Partner, appeared in the scheme in March 2008, as Igor Dodon, then Minister of Economy negotiated the contract.

Zinaida Greceanii, who held the post of prime minister, appointed then-Minister Dodon head of the negotiating group. 

The contract was signed by Alexandr Gusev, who was then director of Energocom, a company under the Ministry of Economy headed by Dodon. After that, Gusev was promoted to Moldovagaz..

According to the expert, in May 2008, Energo Partner supplied 30% of its energy for 5.3 cents/kWh. The remaining 70% was supplied by Ukrinterenergo at a cost of four cents/kWh. In July 2008, the tick company already delivered 72% of energy at a higher price, and by October the price increased from 5.3 to 5.8 cents/kWh.

Thus, the company Energo Partner obtained a profit of 14.5 million dollars on the energy price difference for eight months in 2008. Expert Șoitu recalled that Dodon admitted that he negotiated that contract on a television show.

Another energy expert Sergiu Tofilat declared that with the respective scheme’s implementation, the electricity tariff increased by 12%. Therefore, the experts filed a complaint with the Prosecutor’s Office in April 2017.

According to the second expert, the prosecutor Lilian Bacalâm took over the case. However, one month after the testimony was given, the prosecutor closed the case, without informing any of the people who filed the complaint. Expert Sergiu Tofilat requested the reopening of a criminal investigation and that prosecutor Lilian Bacalâm be held accountable.

AUTHOR MAIL

 Subscribee

Maia Sandu Meets Josep Borrell, High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Vice-President of the European Commission

President Maia Sandu met with Josep Borrell, High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Vice-President of the European Commission. Maia Sandu thanked for the constant sup…
Maia Sandu Meets Josep Borrell, High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Vice-President of the European Commission

Maia Sandu Meets the President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen

The President of Moldova, Maia Sandu, had a meeting with the President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen. Maia Sandu posted a message on Facebook and “thanked the President of the European Commi…
Maia Sandu Meets the President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen

The Constitutional Court Declares the Parliament Self-dissolution Impossible

The Constitutional Court declared inadmissible the notification of the Action and Solidarity Party regarding the possibility of self-dissolution of the Parliament. The announcement was made today, January 18, b…
The Constitutional Court Declares the Parliament Self-dissolution Impossible

Maia Sandu Had a Meeting with Laura Codruța Kövesi, Chief Prosecutor of the European Public Prosecutor’s Office

The President of Moldova, Maia Sandu, had a meeting with Laura Codruța Kövesi, Chief Prosecutor of the European Public Prosecutor’s Office, in Brussels, during which the judicial reforms were discussed. &…
Maia Sandu Had a Meeting  with Laura Codruța Kövesi, Chief Prosecutor of the European Public Prosecutor’s Office

Concrete Instead of Trees in a Chișinău Forest

Durlești Forest, located in the suburbs of Chisinau, is destroyed under the eyes of the authorities. Instead of trees growing, we see reinforced concrete constructions all over the place, despite the fact that…
Concrete Instead of Trees in a Chișinău Forest

30 Years of Convulsions. It’s Resuscitation Time

This week we watched a symptomatically sad meeting between three former Soviet countries’ presidents: Vladimir Putin invited Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan and Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev to a m…
30 Years of Convulsions. It’s Resuscitation Time