On Sunday 21 May, the European Moldova National Assembly adopted and voted on the Resolution of the European Moldova Assembly.
“We, the citizens of the Republic of Moldova, gathered on 21 May 2023 in the Great National Assembly Square, at a decisive moment for the fate of the country, to affirm the aspiration of the Republic of Moldova to become a full member of the European Union, to whose development we wish to contribute, by virtue of the fact that we are European, historically, geographically, culturally and as a set of values.
The indisputable right to guarantee a European, democratic, free and prosperous future for the Republic of Moldova belongs to the people of the Republic of Moldova. Accession to the European Union is the only way that can bring our country stability in the face of challenges and the only chance for the development of the Republic of Moldova that will allow future generations to realise their potential, accumulate wealth, modernise the country and lead a fulfilled life. To this end, we adopt the following:
We ask the political class of the Republic of Moldova, all political parties and politicians of today and all those who will decide the fate of the country in the future:
- To amend the Constitution of the Republic of Moldova in order to definitively and irreversibly establish the accession of the Republic of Moldova to the European Union. This common aspiration of Moldovans must be fulfilled by all political actors in the Republic of Moldova.
- To ensure as soon as possible the opening of negotiations for accession to the European Union and to strengthen state institutions in order to achieve the goal of accession to the European Union.
- To prepare civil servants, mayors, academics, businessmen for the EU accession process with the objective of increasing the absorption capacity of European funds and fully using the benefits of the accession process to modernise the country.
- To broaden the international context of negotiations for a final peaceful settlement of the Transnistrian conflict and to use the EU accession process as a catalyst for increasing the welfare and living standards of Moldovan citizens in the reintegrated Transnistrian region.
- To ensure a swift transposition of European legislation by involving specialists from countries that have recently passed through the same stage of accession, in particular Romania.
- Ensure the interconnection of all infrastructure systems to the European market – electricity, gas transport, road, rail, communications – in order to exclude any kind of blackmail and ensure the independence of the Republic of Moldova to develop freely and without constraints.
- Strongly condemn the illegal and inhuman war started by Russia in Ukraine which undermines stability and seriously affects the whole region, including the Republic of Moldova, and take a clear stand against those who started the war, those declared war criminals by international institutions and those who support the war and participate in destabilizing the situation in the region and in our country.
Given the desire of the citizens of the Republic of Moldova to transform the country on the European path, we call on the European Union institutions to continue their support to our country and to accept the Republic of Moldova into the European family once the conditions for accession have been met,” reads the text of the resolution.